My Saturday started out as regular as can be. That was until I scrolled down my Insta timeline and found an awesome event hosted by, the popular lifestyle blog, DCWKLY. The first ever Gym Class DC went down in a super dope space with even more dope giveaways!
The concept is simple. Direct from The Gym Class: Imagine a perfect place to dance and genuinely have fun without thinking twice about it—well, Gym Class will be just that place. Health and wellness promoting workshops like yoga, cardio, and massage therapy, start the event off for the first two hours. Next is a dance party. With a combination of serenading beats, sounds, and songs from different genres and artists filling the atmosphere, this environment is purposely set up for people to have a sweat a little and dance a lot. In addition, we will bring in some of the best food trucks from local businesses where people can enjoy healthy food and natural juices. Gym Class is the party scene taken to new heights where buying table packages and holding champagne glasses is a major DON’T but dancing and having fun is a major DO.
Safe to say I’m now slim-thick…or nah?
This was my first time ever hearing of the artistic space, Blind Whino, so it was kinda cool that my first visit was fitness-motivated. It couldn’t have come at a better time because I was literally suiting-up to head to my gym (the YMCA in Central MD). While I love my normal gym, there are always very old and wrinkled women in the gym and most of the classes are catered to their age group (think aquatic workouts and seated bicep curls with 2 lb weights). I very seldom get to workout alongside young, hot and fun young women like myself. So, of course I hightailed it to Southwest DC to get in on the fun. Needless to say, I had a good ass time.
With my main, Faviola.
Booty exercises were in abundance, which is consistent with the fact that millennials are obsessed with uplifting the almighty junk in the trunk (hence JUNKFIT). I’m talking bridges, single leg bridges, pulsing squats, jump squats, lunges and pulsing lunges. It was just what the doctor ordered because my legs had long grown tired of the mundane leg press and squat combo I’d been lazily doing for the past 6 weeks. Yesterday was just the wake-up my body needed. Speaking of what my body needed, did I mention the free sneakers from Reebok?! Yess, honey. You missed it! Lol. Reebok literally laced your girl with new Mauve Woven Classic Furylites. They retail for $75 (I had to look it up). I hear the event will be a monthly thing, so stay tuned and next time come get you some!
I’m corny so you know I had to share the fact that Reebok tweeted my yesterday…
Have a blessed week and if you’re in B-more, join me for my first ever Meet-Up at the Y at Waverly, Saturday May 21st @ 10 a.m.! More info to come!
1. First things first, your core includes far more than just your abs. By definition your core is a complex series of muscles including everything besides your arms and legs. This includes your hips, upper glutes and your anterior, posterior and lateral regions (front, back and side). Don’t you just love when you learn a new fitness term?!
2. Secondly, it is incorporated in almost EVERY movement of the human body. It acts as a stabilizer in pretty much every exercise. You can test this theory for yourself. Try to see if you can do any exercise with a relaxed core OR feel your core during exercises and you’ll see that it’s always at work.
3. Third, you can mindfully engage your core without even working out! Sit up straight at work, squeeze your butt cheeks while walking, pull in your pelvis (aka stop sticking your booty out, lol). Keep a small pillow behind your back while at your desk to stop you from slouching. All these small adjustments will help you strengthen your core!
Now can you see why building a stronger core should be at the base of your exercise journey? This challenge might seem hard for some of you but TRUST me when I say, you are on the right path. Once you’ve strengthened your core, you’ll notice your workouts getting easier and you’ll start to have more fun with it!
Questions? I’m here to help. Drop em below!
My six pack is coming along.
Day-1 flick is looking good!
Today was the first day of the 7 Day Challenge. You’re probably used to seeing 30 day challenges but I’m a firm believer in easing into exercise. If you’re transitioning from a sedentary lifestyle, going full throttle is the last thing you want to do. Lots of people try this as many do with diets as well and feel defeated when they falter after a few days. Its important to start small and progress gradually. Here are some beginners tips:
1. STRETCH: This will seem pointless to some because you don’t associate it with reaching your goals but it is key to seeing an exercise program through. Without stretching, the soreness will surely put you on your ass. Do yourself the favor and stretch your entire body and holding each stretch for at least :30.
2. BREATHE: OMG, I can’t tell you how many times I catch myself not breathing. It’s easy to get wrapped up in your form and counting reps but you must remember to breathe. This works especially when you’re feeling the burn. You can take a few breaths and instantly feel the burn dissipate. Keep breathing so you can keep going!
3. SPREAD YOUR LEGS: Get your mind outta the gutter! This phrase simply means widening your base during exercises like planks and walkouts. This will help you distribute the weight throughout your entire body, alleviating the pressure on your core. As you progress though modifications, move your feet closer together, adding difficulty.