1. First things first, your core includes far more than just your abs. By definition your core is a complex series of muscles including everything besides your arms and legs. This includes your hips, upper glutes and your anterior, posterior and lateral regions (front, back and side). Don’t you just love when you learn a new fitness term?!
2. Secondly, it is incorporated in almost EVERY movement of the human body. It acts as a stabilizer in pretty much every exercise. You can test this theory for yourself. Try to see if you can do any exercise with a relaxed core OR feel your core during exercises and you’ll see that it’s always at work.
3. Third, you can mindfully engage your core without even working out! Sit up straight at work, squeeze your butt cheeks while walking, pull in your pelvis (aka stop sticking your booty out, lol). Keep a small pillow behind your back while at your desk to stop you from slouching. All these small adjustments will help you strengthen your core!
Now can you see why building a stronger core should be at the base of your exercise journey? This challenge might seem hard for some of you but TRUST me when I say, you are on the right path. Once you’ve strengthened your core, you’ll notice your workouts getting easier and you’ll start to have more fun with it!
Today was the first day of the 7 Day Challenge. You’re probably used to seeing 30 day challenges but I’m a firm believer in easing into exercise. If you’re transitioning from a sedentary lifestyle, going full throttle is the last thing you want to do. Lots of people try this as many do with diets as well and feel defeated when they falter after a few days. Its important to start small and progress gradually. Here are some beginners tips:
1. STRETCH: This will seem pointless to some because you don’t associate it with reaching your goals but it is key to seeing an exercise program through. Without stretching, the soreness will surely put you on your ass. Do yourself the favor and stretch your entire body and holding each stretch for at least :30.
2. BREATHE: OMG, I can’t tell you how many times I catch myself not breathing. It’s easy to get wrapped up in your form and counting reps but you must remember to breathe. This works especially when you’re feeling the burn. You can take a few breaths and instantly feel the burn dissipate. Keep breathing so you can keep going!
3. SPREAD YOUR LEGS: Get your mind outta the gutter! This phrase simply means widening your base during exercises like planks and walkouts. This will help you distribute the weight throughout your entire body, alleviating the pressure on your core. As you progress though modifications, move your feet closer together, adding difficulty.
So, I’m teaching my students how to hydrate without water and I stumbled upon a cute little salad idea. What was intended to be a completely citrus salad turned into a ‘whatever we have in the fridge’ salad. Y’all know how that goes. Surprisingly it came out really good and I made the salad again while a friend was visiting. We finished this entire bowl in under an hour. Here’s how I made it:
1 Grapefruit-peeled and separated
2 Handfuls of spinach
1 Teaspoon of sea salt
1 Tablespoon of olive oil
1 Tablespoon of honey
Mix all ingredients in a giant bowl and enjoy and very refreshing salad. Might I add that the mint leaves and ginger gave my breath a very inviting scent…too bad I’m single. Blah. Feel free to share your results with me.
Whew! So yesterday was absolutely lovely here in NYC. I grabbed drinks with a friend and strolled through Central Park on some very chill ish. It was just lovely. I couldn’t help but reflect on the newness of nature in the Spring. All the flowers and trees were just-a-blooming and there I was drawing the correlation between JUNKFIT and nature! Lol. Now is the time to take that new outlook and apply it to our health. With that being said, I think it would be pretty dope to work with you guys on the basics of fitness. When you have a strong core, you can do pretty much anything. Without core strength, you’ll find yourself struggling through thee most simple of things. Take bench press for example. You might have the upper body strength to push the bar up, but you’ll need a strong core to stabilize you. Without that strength, the bar will go out of balance. There are certain things called synergist muscle groups. They assist a muscle in completing a task when the primary muscle isn’t strong enough. Core muscles act as synergists in countless workouts. Long story short, a strong core is super essential.
That brings us to the JUNKFIT 7 Day Challenge! Get your core together, ladies. Let’s do it together!
Burpees 3 x 10
Walk Outs 3 x 10
Hanging Crunches 3 x 10
Mountain Climbers 3 x :30
Bicycle Kicks 3 x :30
Planks 3 x :30
Post your pics to Instagram using the #JUNKFIT hashtag to share your workout flicks. Summer bawdies are made in the Spring, too!
I can finally say I understand SOME of the hype surrounding Jordans. From the time I was in high school, I never understood why people camp out, miss school or fight over the sneaker. It really is a shame that the brand gets such a bad rap because from what I saw tonight, they have managed to put wind beneath the wings of an entire athletic generation. I’m not even trying to romanticize it. Jordan has inspired so many people and now we are kind of seeing the affects of his legacy in the new era of mega athletes. Long story, short, it was pretty awesome to be there. The performance from Nicki Minaj was a nice little cherry on top if I do say so myself. “Pretty on fleek” is a fitting description for tonight’s flick.
Even though Spring has been fronting since March, we still decided to show her some love today as it was absolutely beautiful out. The temperature was just right for an outdoor workout. We made use of what we had which were benches and wide open space!
Step-ups 3 x 15/leg
Inclined push-ups 3 x 10
Dips 3 x 15
Jumping jacks 3 x 25
Pulsing jump squats 3 x 25
Alternating leg kicks 3 x 25
Walking lunges 3 x 30
Walking butt-kicks 3 x 30
Mountain climbers 3 x 25
We also found a very dope workout spot in Central Park! Details to come ;-D