Everyone has those beauty products that come into their lives and change the whole game, right? Whether it’s a night cream or a lip color you love so much. Often we find these products and think to ourselves ‘How did I ever make it without you?’ Well, that’s how I feel about coconut oil! I’ve shared my love for this multifaceted must-have via Facebook before but I definitely didn’t do it justice. We’ve since (coconut oil and I) taken our relationship to the next level. Lol! Today I’m going to share with you just how involved we are.
My top 10 uses for coconut oil:
- Apply all over your body as soon as you get out of the shower to lock in moisture. I don’t mean to brag but I always get compliments on my skin and I have genetics to thank for that but coconut oil helps me maintain it. Timing is everything with this. Apply as soon as you dry off to get the best results.
- Use as a natural face wash. Yes, this works! I do have a traditional face wash and scrub on hand for when I need a thorough cleanse but I use coconut oil regularly because I never want to strip ALL of my face oils! That’s a good way to age yourself quickly. Keep it moist by massaging a dab of coconut oil onto your face for a good 30 seconds. Then grab yourself a hot wash cloth and lay it over your face for 15 seconds to open up your pores. Pat any excess oil with your wash cloth.
- Use coconut oil as an overnight cream. Coconut oil works wonders in rejuvenating your skin and making you look fresh-faced. Throughout the day, your cells will oxidize or deteriorate. Coconut oil can and will breathe life back into your cells. I can’t stress this enough. You’ll wake up with beautiful, soft and vibrant skin (provided you got a full night’s rest).
- Use as a hair moisturizer. Lock in or reapply moisture to your hair by applying just a small amount to your mane. This works for any and every hair type not just the kinky crew.
- Use as a hair gloss. I know some of use swear by oil sheen or shine serum but you should really give this a try. It’s better for our environment and it works. Coconut oil will give you a natural shine without weighing down your tresses. Just take a very small dab and rub gently over your hair-root to tip.
- Scalp and dandruff treatment. Is Head & Shoulders just not cutting it for you? Give coconut oil a try. Massage it into your scalp as if you were greasing it and let it sit for a good hour with a cap. Then go ahead and co-wash or shampoo all your itch and dandruff away. Simple.
- Apply as an after shave. I had always used baby oil to calm any irritation around my bikini area after a close shave but I’ve found that coconut oil provides longer lasting moisture.
- Use as cuticle oil. My cuticles are always cracking and peeling (probably an indicator that I need to drink more water). I use coconut oil during my mani/pedis to help stop the peeling.
- Use as a make-up remover. I use coconut oil on a cotton swab or q-tip to remove foundation and pesky mascara residue.
- Use as body food. Your imagination should kick in right now. Remember, it’s edible! Lol.
I hope you found this little read helpful. It was fun to write/share because it’s just too good a find to keep to myself. Do you use coconut oil? How so? Any beauty secrets I missed? Share below!