Often referred to as the potato pancake, the latke is a staple in New York originality. It takes the backseat to pizza, pretzels and hot dogs but it really is a delicious novelty. The latke is hard to come by outside of Hanukkah season, but if you have a Jewish friend, you might get your hands on one or you can just try this recipe at home! I remixed it with the zucchini and plantain. It was a good remix though! Lol.
Minced rosemary about 1/4 cup
1 large sweet potato – peeled and grated
1 half zucchini – peeled and grated
1 half plantain – peeled and grated
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper
1. Lightly beat eggs, salt and pepper and whatever added seasoning you have a taste for
2. Mix with remaining ingredients in a large bowl
3. Heat ¼ inch olive oil in large pan
4. Add palm sized amounts of mixture to oil and press flat like a pancake
5. Add as many that can fit in the pan with room to flip
6. Cook on both sides for 3 minutes
7. Remove and place on paper towel to drain excess oil
Done and done!
So obviously I felt free to remix my latkes with some added ingredients. You can try adding different veggies to your recipe. Many people top their latkes with apple sauce or sour cream. Sounds weird but its actually good. Try it!